Do you know what to do if the fire alarm goes off? What's most important is that you leave the building immediately.
What should I do if the fire alarm goes off?
- Leave the building immediately
- Call 110 if you see smoke or fire
- Try to warn the other tenants
Leave the building as quickly as possible. Close doors and windows before evacuating the building to prevent the fire from spreading. Find somewhere nearby to stay so that the fire department can access the building, and wait for further instructions.
Familiarise yourself with where the fire extinguishers are located. All buildings have equipment available, in most cases powder extinguishers and fire hoses. In case of smaller fires, you can try to extinguish the fire using the fire extinguisher.
Familiarise yourself with escape routes and emergency exits in your building. Remember that escape routes and emergency exits must be clear at all times, in case the building needs to be evacuated. Emergency exits that are normally locked will automatically open if the fire alarm goes off.
- Never leave the stove unattended while you are cooking.
- Use the kitchen extractor fan.
- Keep the oven and oven trays clean.
- Be careful when you light candles.
- Do not remove the smoke detector!
- Familiarise yourself with fire extinguishers and escape routes in your building.
- Escape routes such as corridors, staircases and balconies must be tidy and clear.
- Belongings may be thrown away during inspection if they are blocking the routes.
Does the alarm fire alarm go off often? Read more about how to prevent this.